Kristine Soares Photography

Kristine Soares Photography

Recipes

Baking (7) Breads (3) Breakfast (6) Chicken (2) Chocolate (1) Condiments (4) Dessert (9) Dinner (12) Eggs (2) Fruit (3) Lunch (4) Pasta (3) Salad (2) Seafood (4) Snack (1) Snacks (11) Soup (2) Vegetables (8)

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Perfect Popcorn


I know. It's a bold statement to say this is the Perfect popcorn. But, I'm not going to back down. It is simply delicious.

I start with a really great kernel. This was just a little stocking stuffer I picked up at a cool store in Newburyport, called WishBasket. I was nosing around the store, dreaming of things I would love to own, when I spotted a bag of Amish Country popcorn. I chuckled to myself, a little inside joke between me and my husband and then I thought that this did look tasty!


I'm also going to admit something to you. I had never made popcorn on the stove or in an air popper before. I was perfectly content with getting a bag at the store. I have a couple of favorite brands, including Boom Chicka Pop and Popcorn, Indiana. I just wanted to see if I could come close to their version. After all, popcorn is a pretty darn healthy snack and we could go through a bag in a few days.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of popcorn kernels
2 tbsp of sunflower oil
1 tsp of fine salt
2 tbsp of unsalted butter melted


Add the oil to a pot and put in a few kernels. Turn stove to medium heat and cover pot. 


Once those kernels have popped, take off heat. Add in 1/2 of the salt and the rest of your kernels. Cover the pot and return to heat, but leave the lid a little open so it lets some air in. Continually shake the pan while on the heat (if you have an electric stove, lift it up slightly), this prevents it from burning. Oh...and see the pot above, yeah it wasn't quite big enough to hold in the popcorn. As a newbie, I had just no idea how much popcorn expanded! My son got a kick out of the show, because it reminded him of a certain annoying claymation penguin he loves. 

Once all the kernels have stopped popping, take off the heat and add in the rest of the salt and melted butter. Toss around so all that goodness gets mixed in. 


I've now made this a couple times in a week or so. It's great for those times when you are trying to get dinner ready, but the troops are starving. Great for those late nights when your stomach grumbles and you know you "shouldn't" eat after 9pm but you just have to. And of course, wonderful for when you want to curl up on the couch with your loved ones and watch a movie!






No comments:

Post a Comment