Kristine Soares Photography

Kristine Soares Photography

Recipes

Baking (7) Breads (3) Breakfast (6) Chicken (2) Chocolate (1) Condiments (4) Dessert (9) Dinner (12) Eggs (2) Fruit (3) Lunch (4) Pasta (3) Salad (2) Seafood (4) Snack (1) Snacks (11) Soup (2) Vegetables (8)

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Easy Peasy Hummus


Are you still recovering from Easter like I am?

Last week was full of planning, prepping, cleaning and cooking. It was one of my most successful dinner parties I've ever held. I made just about everything from scratch, from appetizers to dessert and everything in between. Spent about 20 hours in the kitchen in two days, so needless to say, by the end I was absolutely exhausted.

That's why I decided to share an easy recipe.

Behold, the humble chickpea.

I didn't become a fan of these until a few years ago. Whenever I was served them, I couldn't get past the strange skin that popped off while eating. Or I was given them straight out the can, almost sour tasting chickpeas. Yuck.

When I decided to start eating less meat and cook more vegetarian meals, I decided to give them a try to add a little more balance to a dish. Dried chickpeas with a proper soak are best, but a can will work in a pinch.

I'm probably sharing this against my husband's wishes (he likes to keep recipes a secret), but I want everyone to try hummus the way we make it. It is ridiculously easy, fast and delicious. And like most things that are homemade, it's waaaayyy better than store bought.

Ingredients:
1 can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
Ground cumin
Ground pepper
Coarse salt
Extra Virgin olive oil

Trader Joe's makes my FAVORITE peanut butter. It's the stir kind, but it has the best peanutty flavor. We use the peanut butter in place of tahini (my husband isn't a fan of tahini).





After I've rinsed and drained the chickpeas, I add them to the food processor and pulse a little to make a coarse paste. Then I add in all the ingredients but the olive oil. The seasonings are going to be according to your taste.

Then turn the food processor on and slowly drizzle the olive oil in until you get a nice, smooth consistency.


And...you're done! I serve it up with homemade pita chips, carrot sticks or I make hummus veggie wraps (the meal I request for my birthday every year).




No comments:

Post a Comment