Kristine Soares Photography

Kristine Soares Photography

Recipes

Baking (7) Breads (3) Breakfast (6) Chicken (2) Chocolate (1) Condiments (4) Dessert (9) Dinner (12) Eggs (2) Fruit (3) Lunch (4) Pasta (3) Salad (2) Seafood (4) Snack (1) Snacks (11) Soup (2) Vegetables (8)

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Spring has sprung!


This past weekend was wonderful. Our family got up early and headed out the door for what will hopefully become a weekly event this spring and summer, "treasure" hunting.

When I say treasure, I'm talking about the many yard sales, flea markets and farmer's markets we encounter. As much as I love finding pretty things, I also love a good bargain.

Since I started dating my husband almost 7 years ago, he has taught me the art of being frugal. I'm not quite as good as he is (I have my vices...coffee), but I've learned how to do what I call, "unshopping". When I'm out at the store or browsing online, I will add things to my cart and then take a moment and analyze if I actually need it or not. More often, I end up not buying. This has been a great money saving tool for me.

Rowley has an incredible flea market (http://www.toddfarm.com/). My husband has been begging me to go with him over the years. I've gone before, but I have anxiety with large crowds and for some strange reason, even get really dizzy while looking around. I gave in and decided to try it again. I am glad I did, because I was the one that ended up buying some great things!

Love love love this old cocoa tin!


I love finding food related items that I can incorporate into my recipes posts. I found these cute old bottles of extracts that I couldn't pass up.


Now that I've gotten into making snacks from scratch, I've become obsessed with jars and canisters. My eye immediately drifted towards this Ball jar.


After our treasure hunt, we came back to the house for a nice lazy day in the yard. We took the chicks out for a little so I could document them for my son's preschool. They are getting so big!





I know I shouldn't play favorites, but this little one is so friendly with me and she's adorable too!

Then I took a little walk around to observe the garden in bloom.



I like to call this our popcorn tree, but it's really our plum tree. When the buds finally open, from a distance it looks like it is covered in white popcorn.



And this is our pretty peach tree, which hopefully will bear some fruit this year.


One of my goals this year is to document the always expanding garden and our hens. My husband puts so much love into it, that I want to put together a book for him some day. So check back for more updates on what's growing and other fabulous finds from our adventures in bargain hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment