Kristine Soares Photography

Kristine Soares Photography

Recipes

Baking (7) Breads (3) Breakfast (6) Chicken (2) Chocolate (1) Condiments (4) Dessert (9) Dinner (12) Eggs (2) Fruit (3) Lunch (4) Pasta (3) Salad (2) Seafood (4) Snack (1) Snacks (11) Soup (2) Vegetables (8)

Monday, May 12, 2014

How do you like them apples?

 

Do you have kids that get hungry just about every 45 minutes? Are you constantly on the go and need healthy snacks for them as well as yourself? Then, this blog post is just for you. Wow...I just sounded like an infomercial.

But honestly, there is a real need for portable healthy snacks. There has been a recent boom in food pouches and they have gone over really well in our house. My son loves the different types of applesauce and I love that some are even blended with veggies. I got to thinking, 'well I use to make his baby food and that's basically the same concept?', I just needed to find the right containers. Enter, Yummi Pouch http://www.yummipouch.com/.


I learned about Yummi Pouch through the wonders of Facebook. I searched Amazon and found these pretty reusable packages on sale! They hold 6 oz (I somehow fit 7oz in there) and they can be put in the freezer and the dishwasher. I was sold. Now, what goodies could I start with? My son requested Apple Mango sauce. Well, okay then!

Ingredients:

2 ripe mangoes chopped
6-7 different varieties of apples peeled, cored and chopped
1/4 cup of brown sugar (optional)
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp of cinnamon
Couple of pinches of nutmeg
Couple of squeezes of lemon juice
1 1/2 cups of water (or you could bump up the flavor with juice, but beware of extra sugars)


I recently found a great apple for snacking and cooking. Introducing, the Mutsu apple. It's a cross between a Golden Delicious and an Indo apple. It's crunchy and sweet, but not too overpowering. It paired really well with the pink lady apples I threw into the mix. 


Begin by peeling, coring and chopping your apples. You can leave the skins on, but to create a really smooth sauce for these pouches, I peeled them.




Now prepare your mango. I am not ashamed to admit I Googled the proper way to slice a mango. I cut down the outer sides, then made horizontal and vertical cuts to the flesh (but don't go through the outer skin!). Then you can pop it up and then scoop out the fruit. 



Add your fruit to a large bowl and throw in your brown sugar, salt and spices.




Spritz in your lemon juice.


Mix everything well and throw it into a stock pot. Add your water. Cook on medium/low heat until everything gets pretty mushy.


Using a potato masher or immersion blender, mash up all the fruit. Either place in a container or pouch and refrigerate. Or, if you are like my son, eat a bowl of it as soon as it cools down!


No comments:

Post a Comment