Kristine Soares Photography

Kristine Soares Photography

Recipes

Baking (7) Breads (3) Breakfast (6) Chicken (2) Chocolate (1) Condiments (4) Dessert (9) Dinner (12) Eggs (2) Fruit (3) Lunch (4) Pasta (3) Salad (2) Seafood (4) Snack (1) Snacks (11) Soup (2) Vegetables (8)

Monday, March 17, 2014

From a simple breakfast staple to extraordinary dessert


The banana. A fruit that is sitting on many tables and in fruit bowls around the world. Bananas are one of my favorite fruits. Granted it gets a lot of flak for being higher in calories then other fruits, but it's so darn good and filling. I can't resist a piece of toast with peanut butter and banana. 

Then on my nightly searching through other blogs for recipe inspiration, I came across banana ice cream. No, not ice cream that was banana flavored. Bananas themselves became the ice cream, without cream. Who was the mad genius to come up with this? I had to try it for myself.

I have a plethora of frozen bananas in my freezer. When they are overly ripe, I just peel them and freeze them in Ziplock bags. They are perfect to use in breads and cakes. And now they have a new purpose.

Ingredients: Bananas (I started with about 4)



I carefully chop the bananas before I add them into the food processor (use the S shaped blade).


Turn on and occasionally scrape down the bowl. Keep running the blade until it becomes a smooth, soft serve ice cream consistency.



Remove from the bowl and put in freezer safe container. Return to freezer to harden for 10 mins.


Now for the test. I take it out of the freezer and let it soften a little before eating. OMG. Where has this been all my life?


Out of curiosity, I made a second small batch and added in a little cinnamon and brown sugar. Delicious! Can't wait to try new flavors. I'm thinking chocolate and maybe banana with peanut butter???

No comments:

Post a Comment