Kristine Soares Photography

Kristine Soares Photography

Recipes

Baking (7) Breads (3) Breakfast (6) Chicken (2) Chocolate (1) Condiments (4) Dessert (9) Dinner (12) Eggs (2) Fruit (3) Lunch (4) Pasta (3) Salad (2) Seafood (4) Snack (1) Snacks (11) Soup (2) Vegetables (8)

Monday, March 10, 2014

Dinner Made Easy


One of my favorite dinners to create is also one of the easiest, soup or stew. You can pretty much throw everything together in a pot with some herbs and either stock or some other liquid and you've got a meal. It's a great way to use up what's left in your fridge and also requires very little cleanup. Saturday I decided to make corn chowder. It's not exactly diet friendly, but is hearty and comforting.

Printable recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1 bag frozen corn (I used a gold and white combo)
2 large peeled potatoes or 5-6 smaller ones
Thyme
Salt
Pepper
Bacon (optional)

First, I decided to fry off some home cured bacon that my husband had left over. It was a very fatty piece, so I would not require oil when sweating the onions later on. While that was browning, I began chopping my onion.

This might not be the most accurate way to chop an onion, but it's the way I learned. I find it to be the easiest and safest way. It also creates nice little pieces (I don't like big chunks of onion in my food). First, I halve the onion.


Then I peel it and lay it down on the flat side to begin slicing through the sections (or down the lines).


Next, I begin making horizontal cuts about half way through.


Now, keeping my fingers tucked in, I can go ahead and begin dicing.



I remove the bacon and most of the bacon fat (leave about a tbsp or two in the pot).


Add the onions to the pot and saute for a few minutes until soft and golden.


I quarter the potatoes so they take less time to cook.


Add in the potatoes and a few sprigs of thyme.


After the potatoes have sauteed for about 5 mins, then I add in the cream and milk. Simmer for about 20 mins or until the potatoes are fork tender. Add in the corn and salt and pepper (to taste) and simmer for another 7 mins.

Top with bacon if you like and add a side of crusty bread(we had homemade flax bread that toasted nicely). And there you have it! Dinner is served.



No comments:

Post a Comment