Kristine Soares Photography

Kristine Soares Photography

Recipes

Baking (7) Breads (3) Breakfast (6) Chicken (2) Chocolate (1) Condiments (4) Dessert (9) Dinner (12) Eggs (2) Fruit (3) Lunch (4) Pasta (3) Salad (2) Seafood (4) Snack (1) Snacks (11) Soup (2) Vegetables (8)

Friday, April 6, 2012

Inspire


 This blog is not going to be full of pictures, but I can promise you that it will be honest and full of heart. 

I had the incredible opportunity to go to an Inspire Photo Seminar(http://www.inspirephotoseminars.com/) just a couple of weeks ago and I am so glad that I did. This was an opportunity for me to learn, network and overcome some of my biggest fears. 

Some of you reading this may know, that I often experience anxiety and panic attacks. I sometimes have a very hard time with change and the unknown. According to the ADAA(Anxiety Disorders Association of America), anxiety affects about 40 million of adults in the U.S. age eighteen and older. That's 18% of the US population (http://www.adaa.org/about-adaa/press-room/facts-statistics).

So, you can imagine my fear, when I knew I was going to be leaving my family; driving to a place I hadn't been before and being in a crowd of people that I had never met before. The old me(aka before Inspire), would have just kept to myself and sat in the classes and gone back to my room. I decided, it was time for a change.

The first day, it was the drive down. I made a playlist on my Ipod, full of songs that would get me psyched for what I was about to do for myself and my growing business. So far, so good, until I hit a little snag (nearly got into an accident at one of the tolls). My arms went numb, my whole body got hot and I started to shake a little. But I just kept going. I turned up the volume and started singing along to keep focused. Got to the hotel in great time, checked into my room and decided to push myself a little farther. I walked out to the lobby, sat down and introduced myself to a few fellow photographers. Things were going to be okay.

First order of business, was to get a few headshots by the amazing Leah Haydock(http://www.leahhaydock.com/). Leah was my wedding photographer 3 years ago. She is also the one who informed me about Inspire and advised that it would be crucial for me to go. So, thanks Leah! 

Met up with the couple of friends I did know, the lovely Brooke Whicher(http://www.brookewhicherphotography.com/About_Me.html) and very sweet Jenny Coyle (http://www.jennycoylephotography.com/). And we decided to kick things off with a little toast before the welcome dinner. 

The following day started our classes. I was so happy that I had the chance to hear Leah Haydock speak. She gave a presentation on Profitable Weddings. Being a former bride of hers, I look back at what she really put into our wedding. She doesn't just shoot a wedding and then she's done. She really invests herself in the couple. She makes them feel like friends, not just clients. I think that is a major part to her success. Plus the fact that she has the best British accent and is super sweet!

Next was Eric Foley's(http://www.ericfoleyphotography.com) class, Going Full Time. This class was perfect for me. Informative, relaxed and touched on everything that I had hoped it would. Not only that, but I felt like I could relate to Eric. And for the first time, I actually started feeling like, "I really can do this". That was the turning point for me and my career. I even mustered up enough courage to go and thank him after the class. And he didn't brush me off, like he could have, because I'm sure he was super busy. He gave me some advice and encouragement. And I will be forever thankful. 

Next was Nicki Pardo's( http://www.pardophotography.com/) class on getting people to feel comfortable in front of the camera. This is something that I feel pretty good at, because I like to get to know people and their true personalities. I like to become a part of their family and make them feel at ease. I walked away from the class with some great tips and assurance that I am doing a good job. 

So, the first day of classes was over and now for the next challenge. Heading to the bar and singing karaoke in front of my peers(you know, the very successful photographers that I had just met!). Didn't know if I could do it. I love to sing, I'd sing all day if I could, but this was different. If I failed, I would be doing this in front of potential connections/friends. My stomach was turning, my hands were going clammy. But, I grabbed the bull by the horns and sang not just once, but twice. And no failure! Oh and I happened to meet my doppelganger, Jessica Pegg(http://www.jpeggphotography.com/). We are both starting out, both are Portuguese, love music, wear similar glasses and somehow her mother is close friends with my aunt. Small world!

The next day was more classes, including a very vital, Laws and Ethics class, an albums class and later a sales class. I could feel my brain beginning to swell with knowledge. I kept thinking, how am I going to handle this all? And then I thought back to Enna Grazier (one of the forces behind Inspire) and one of her speeches. She talked about how lucky we are to have such an amazing community. And as I looked around at my new friends, I can see that she is right. I now have an amazing group of people to turn to if needed and some that may turn out to be mentors along the road.

So, Inspire for me was not just about learning more about photography and the business. It was a chance to see what I am made of and my potential to get even better. It was my opportunity to face fears that have held me back for so many years. When I came home, I felt more confidence in myself and my ability than I ever have before. 

I would like to thank those who took the time to get to know me and listen to me. Thank you to those who shared your knowledge and stories. Thank you to the Inspire team for planning this amazing event. And most of all, thank you to those who continue to believe in me. I promise not to let you or myself down.

I'd like to leave you with a picture taken by Leah Haydock. I think this really reflects the new me and how I want to be from now on.
Courtesy of Leah Haydock Photography 2012






2 comments:

  1. Yay! Go Kristine :)
    So happy you decided to make the time for Inspire. Matt, Enna and the whole Inspire team do such an awesome job of making it feel like a welcoming community - no egos - everyone there to learn and make new friends. I'm sure your business will go from strength to strength with all of your new found knowledge! Awesome to see you again! And thank you for the kind words! Leah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Kristine! Beautiful post. It's amazing to now have a community to support you as you grow! Not only was it awesome to meet you (and I can't wait to catch up next week) but I totally hear you on how nerves wracking it was to enter the event and how motivated & empowered you feel leaving it!

    ReplyDelete